Friday, February 19, 2010

The Conondrum of Romans 7:15.

As my kid’s spent a week off from school, I did my best not to feel like I was off too. The week before had been extremely busy and I began to question whether I really wanted to add a school library media certificate to my background. I also thought about the copyright issue. Do school teachers learn about this and if so do they talk about it?

I’ve worked around teachers for a long time and had never heard about movie licensing or copyright infringement until I took a communications course. And the only time I’ve heard public librarians speak on these issues, was during a pre-summer reading program meeting. The term movie licensing came up when a Children’s Librarian mentioned how their library had purchased one. She advised us to do the same if we wanted to show movies during our summer reading program. Our manager never spoke of such things. Looking back, many copyright laws were broken on a daily basis.
I think sometimes we just see what we want to see. You know the see no evil, hear no evil thing.

I remember taking a family member’s advice on a site for movie downloads. This was before taking the communications course, and I thought the site was people just sharing files. Boy, as soon as I found out what it really was, I erased it from my computer. I also had a talk with my children and explained that what I had done was wrong. We talked about illegal downloads and file sharing websites. I explained to them, that it didn’t matter that someone was willing to “share” the movie or song with me. That movie or song was someone else’s creation and we needed to purchase it.
I learned a lot from that particular experience. And it’s still a point of conversation in our family.
Now if we would only talk about it in libraries, and schools and continue to re-enforce it.

1 comment:

  1. I do not understand what I do either...because sometimes I do the things that I hate. Thank the Lord that He is full of grace!

    ReplyDelete