Thursday, February 4, 2010

Do you know how to IL or ICT?

As a librarian, I thought I knew "everything" about information technology. At the public library we always referred to this as information literacy and we sort of group everything under that title. But this week I learned the two very distinct terms of IL and ICT. IL (Information Literacy) is defined as not only knowing how and where to find the information online, but also being able to identify, locate, and evaluate said information. This is big because most people who do know how to use a computer, fall short in this area. And I believe the ability to identify, locate and evaluate material found online is essential for a SLMS. I remember some years ago, my branch manager sent me to a class at the RRLC about searching online. It was enlightening to say the least. We were given websites to evaluate and it was humbling to see how many experienced librarians really thought some of the websites were legitimate. At that seminar, I learned the differences between .com, .net, .org etc. What a class! I left that seminar informed and empowered. Sadly, I don’t see much of those seminars being offered anymore. And boy do we need them because there is too much of what I call nonsense information in cyberspace.
The ICT (Information and Communication Technology) aspect refers to what I call the “techy” side. This is when we know how to use the computer and its components. When information can be properly collected and retrieved. It’s when you know how to move around in the digital world. These of course are my own definitions. I have to be honest and say that I kind of like this world because I love collecting information on the Internet. I’ll admit there are still some tools I dislike, such as templates, but it’s still an exciting environment to move around in.
This week discussion left me hungry for more on the subject. I downloaded the webquest on my desktop and have gone over it many times. I’d like to see this type of information available to students and teachers and the public library. They should be taught in the schools. We need them. In today’s society of advanced technology, we need both IL and ICT skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment